It has certainly been a while, what with the holidays, various weekend trips, upheavals at work, SXSW, another trip to Big Bend (including a 9-mile hike!), some grilled cheese (my stomach cries from such a misstep), and the return of warm weather here in Austin. Fear not--I'm still writing hard and reading voraciously. Somehow, I've managed to keep up my 53 books in 2015 challenge. Somehow, I've managed to find time for writing and work and living a life outside myself.
I'm realizing more and more that there is always time to write if you want it badly enough. (I do. I want it badly enough.)
What's been going on, writing wise:
- Submitted something somewhere. I'm afraid of jinxing myself if I say much more, so I won't.
- Got a second short story accepted! Found out at the airport and squealed like a doofus. This one I wrote almost entirely by hand. It flowed out of me, and that's really the first time I can say that about anything I've written.
- Took a trip to China, wrote loads and loads. Came back and transformed those travel writings into short vignettes for the first issue of Intersect.
- Rewrote one of my older short stories. Gave it more love, more care. I think it's better. I think I'm better?
- I read The God of Small Things and sobbed when it was over. Not just because of the story itself, but because the book was over. What a gorgeous piece of writing...
- I've been meeting with an old classmate from my creative writing classes at UT every so often. We exchange our stories, talk about balancing writing with work and life, give each other advice and dreams. It's nice.
- I'm starting a new project.